- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup okra (optional)
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers ANY COLOR or mix them
- 1 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 Teaspoon Gumbo Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
For Seafood Gumbo
- Use 6 cups of a dark beer/Ale
- Add Shrimp instead of chicken or any shell fish
Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate.
Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted.
Add the sausage, and continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the chicken broth. Stir until the roux mixture and water are well combined.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
Add 2 Teaspoon Gumbo Seasoning Cook. Note: BEFORE ADDING YOUR PROTEIN TASTE TO SEE HOW SEASONING IS and add more if needed. Once you have the flavor you like now add the chicken or shrimp. Cook uncovered while stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or until chicken is good and done could be more or less time.
Notes I do this in reverse, I first Satue My Peppers Onions and Sausages. I use both andouille and Kielbasa Then I remove them from the pan. I add 1 tablespoon water to deglaze the pan get all the seasoned goodies off the bottom of the pan. Then I add oil and flour and make my Roux to me this just seasoned it so much better.